Blue eggs

I think the Cream Legbar does, I'll see if I can post some of the eggs....

The egg is actually more blue than it appears,,,it's huge egg for the bird size!

Last edited:
Which breed of chicken lays the bluest of the blue eggs? I have Ameracuanas but am looking for a more distinctive blue.
Giving credit where credit is due, a man has developed a color chart for the blue egg gene. His name is F. Decmar. Here is a link to the egg color chart:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKArauEgg.html

He developed it in the UK for the British Araucana club. He took actual sampled of egg shells for the colors.

As you can see (all the squares that line the edge of the card) - there are a large number of colors that fall into the blue egg category. Ameraucans, Araucanas and Cream Legbars all lay blue eggs. My Cream Legbar comes in at about C15 and others come in at A1 for example. Most likely the other breeds are the same. There is a range of colors that the blue-egg gene produces. HTH

Hi Chitkat, very helpful chart... Do you know why the chart says on it that "the colors are not accurate, for information only?"

Thanks again. Nancy

EEs (Easter Egger- Similar to Ameraucana and Araucana but has the Blue, Yellow, Pink, and Green egg gene. EEs are not purebred, therefore, they are not showable.) lay different colored eggs also.

Hi Chitkat, very helpful chart... Do you know why the chart says on it that "the colors are not accurate, for information only?"

Thanks again. Nancy
Hi Nancy,
here's my best guess...... they try to be very careful with the official colors and there was careful research that went into the production, but once it goes to the printer...there are so many varaiables.... ink, paper, temperature...etc. - so there could be slight variations -- and they want a disclaimer. It could be that the variations would be so subtle that they couldn't be detected by human eyes....but --- they want to protect themselves incase a glitch got into the process.

EEs (Easter Egger- Similar to Ameraucana and Araucana but has the Blue, Yellow, Pink, and Green egg gene. EEs are not purebred, therefore, they are not showable.) lay different colored eggs also.
So right...and I love EEs a lot. I think that sometimes they will slip through the cracks because they aren't an official breed per se. So if someone asks a breed then the others are referenced, and the others would 'breed true'. With an EE it is like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you will get.

okay and thanks!!!!! Chiccat regarding the explanation on the chart...have a great day Apologies to you on my name for you I thing I was trying to make you chitchat or chitcat???

I need to order a chart!

Back
Top Bottom