Blue-eyed IBs????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by coleridgedane, Dec 28, 2011.

1. coleridgedane

coleridgedane Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    A pair of IBs showed up here a couple of weeks ago. They look mature but both have blue eyes. I "thought" only whites had blue eyes. (In dogs, all puppies have have blue eyes until the get older. How about peas?)

2. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

got any pics?
    Male-Female?
    Mature in what way?

Lucky you, that they just showed up!!!
    Are you keepin em?

3. coleridgedane

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Oh ya they're. Staying. They're #8 & 9. Male & female. Boy has bigger, thicker spurs than my 2-yr-olds. The female appears younger as she is much more tall, thinner & green but not yet finished feathering/colring out. I've just never seen blue eyes before.

I'll post pics later.

Oh yeah! I'm very, very fortunate!!!!!

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Man we have always been hopping since we got peafowl that ours would attract any stray peafowl to our yard, but I guess there aren't any stray peafowl around here.

That is interesting about them having blue eyes. I wonder if split to whites have blue eyes? Well we would love to see photos of your free peafowl![​IMG]

5. coleridgedane

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Hey! Don't have close-ups but posted a link to some pics on my spaulding post.

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I guess now I need to check out other peoples pics... Blue eyes aren't normal? Mine might be more of a grayish blue...

[​IMG]

7. coleridgedane

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Frosty, a perfect example of what I have too! Great pic!

8. DreamBird

DreamBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    New Caledonia
    Frosty's peacock is a dark pied and has blue eyes...Makes me wonder, maybe Minxfox got a point and split to white peafowls could have blue eyes ?

First I thought that maybe it was because he was young too, I got some pictures of Indian Blue peacocks with blue eyes :

The peahen's got a brown eyes though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This peacock isn't yet that mature (well his train feathers aren't adult's ones anyway), and he's got blue eyes too
    [​IMG]

But then again, these peachicks I saw had grey-ish eyes (well I assume they'll turn either blue or brown ? Unless they are already and I'm blind [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    And two young peacocks had brown eyes too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I'm not sure if it's because they are young that they got blue eyes, maybe it's because they got a bit of split to white in their genes ?
    I'm not really sure, but in any case, they are beautiful ! ~

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. coleridgedane

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Hey Dream! You may be right as I have no idea where/what this new pair came from. However, none are pied & the hen is a spaulding. Can they show no white & still carry & exhibit the white gene via eyes only?

10. DreamBird

DreamBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    New Caledonia
    Quote:Well, I remember this pic from you :

[​IMG]

This peacock's got white on his neck, and if I'm not mistaken, white flight feathers as well. I'm guessing he is dark pied or something.
    Is that one that has blue eyes ?
    As for exhibiting the white gene via eyes only, I couldn't really tell, other people might have the answer, I'm not sure if it is possible or not though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by