Blue Fawn mated to a Grey Call - what color ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bnemeth, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I have a Blue Fawn male that I was going to pen with a grey pullet - will they produce 50% blues and 50% greys? Or a different color combination? Thanks!

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, that's what you should get. [​IMG]

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    70%cocoa :

Yes, that's what you should get. [​IMG]

Thats soo cool! I used to have a black bibbed and a grey pied. So if I bred them together I would have gotten half grey pied half black bidded?! (i dont have them any more)​

4. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Not sure what would come out of that combination - it works with the blue fawns and greys because a blue fawn will have 50% blue, 25% grey and 25% pastel so a blue fawn and a grey would take out the pastel color. I'm guess it would work the same with a blue fawn and pastel (50/50 for blue and pastel) but I'm not sure on that...

5. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, with Blue Fawn and Pastel you should get 50% of each.

DuckGirl, according to the Duck Colour Calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingEend.html with that cross you should get little Magpies.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Just a word of advice.. You might end up getting some suprise colors because mating different call duck colors could result in any color really since most of them have had a different color introduced into their blood line somewhere.

7. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    That is true - with dominant colours, like black bibbed, you may only have one copy of the dominant gene and you don't know which recessive genes are hiding - like brown dilution or recessive white. You can only be sure of what you are going to get if you have a pure breed that has all the requisite copies of all the 'right' genes.

8. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    The link for the genetic calculator is a good one, grey's, BF, and pastel are pretty straightforward not much they can by hiding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by