Blue Footed New Hampshire Red pullet???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeeperKeeper99, Oct 16, 2012.

1. PeeperKeeper99

PeeperKeeper99 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Hey guys!!!I just got two new hens,pure bred new hampshire reds! one is unique, though. She has blue legs!!! is this common in this breed, or is it a miraculous genetic happening? i am interested in poultry showing, and a unique attribute may help me with that ribbon!!!! I will put up a pic in the morning!!!

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    New Hampshires should have yellow legs. Blue would be a DQ in a show.

Somewhere over in Breeds there is a New Hampshire thread. That would be the best place to get more information.

3. PeeperKeeper99

Jul 3, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, one has blue legs. the other has yellow ones. What is a DQ?

4. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

DQ = disqualification

5. PeeperKeeper99

Jul 3, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Why would it be a disqualification?

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    It would be a disqualification because each breed has a set of stadards and leg color is one of them (I know very little about showing so someone can correct me if I am wrong).

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You are correct.

If you are going to show you should look over the Standard of Perfection (SOP) for the breed, in your case the New Hampshire. The SOP describes the ideal bird - shape (type), comb type/points, skin color, eye color, leg color, feather color and pattern (if necessary), etc. Wrong skin color, leg color, eye color, comb type, etc would be a disqualification.

You really should find the New Hampshire thread in Breeds. There is also one for German New Hampshires (really nice birds!). You can get some better input from the experts there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by