Blue genetics with Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by starlingdaly, Dec 17, 2013.

1. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    I'm sure this has been answered numerous times but can anyone tell me if it matters which chicken is the black and which is the splash if you are breeding for blue babies? Someone told me they'd only tried a splash roo and a black hen so they couldn't vouch for the other way around.

I have a surprise black Ams cockerel that I was so sure was a pullet and I have a (for-sure) splash Ams pullet.
    I feel like that should work for blue babes but I thought I'd ask the pros before setting up a breeding pen. :)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Splash crossed with Black will give you Blue. It doesn’t matter if the Splash is male or female. It doesn’t matter if the Black is male or female. It just needs to be Splash crossed with Black.

That’s the simple answer. With chicken genetics there are always if’s, and’s, or but’s; some type of possible exception. But if those chicken genetics are reasonably normal you will get blue. If some recessive genes are hiding and come together you might get something other than solid Blue, but unless something is hiding under there that should not be there, you will get Blue.

3. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    @Ridgerunner Thanks! That's very helpful and along the lines I was already thinking. :)
    My black Ams is from black and blue parents and my splash Ams is from blue and blue parents. Past that I don't know their genetic history but hopefully nothing hiding out. :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The b/b/s genes aren't sex linked, so it doesn't matter which parent is what color. Have fun!

5. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    @donrae Oh good! Thank you. :) I'll work on their breeding pen soon! My Ams cockerel hasn't been doing any rooster behaviours yet but he is nearing an age where he will. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by