Blue/Gray Large Fowl Cochin

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hangin'witthepeeps, May 17, 2010.

1. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I have a rooster and a hen. This is Elvis, I got him from a friend who had too many roosters.

[​IMG]

This is my hen, Sanisa, I hatched from a BYC member.

[​IMG]

I was wondering if Sanisa is blue or gray? If I put them together in a breeding pen, would I get a certain color? What color feet to Cochin's have? Elvis has yellow, but Sanisa's are gray. Do these look like a good breeding pair? What should I look for? I'm not showing just want to breed something that will stay close to breed standard. I really like these chickens (looks, not laying ability). They are very shy and Elvis is very good with the hens. He is not pushy, he does the dance and if they lay down he does his "duty". If they raise a ruckus, he doesn't push the issue and goes about his business. I could see where that may not be a good trait in a rooster, but he earns points in my book. Thanks!

2. jeffro29

jeffro29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    southeast nc
    He looks like a blue and their feet should be yellow. Our rooster acts the same way doesnt push the issue but after awhile all the hens want to be with him. I dont know what color you would get because we keep all of ours seperated. The cochins are neat to have around they both look good and I wish you luck with them.They aslo lay fairly well at times.jeff

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Their legs should be dark. The bottoms of a cochin's foot should be yellow, but not the entire foot or leg. They will be a good breeder pair unless you plan on producing show birds.

4. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I would put him in with one gray/blue hen in the above picture. I would only hatch her eggs, a few at the time. I was wondering if I would get blue or if my hen is gray would I get gray and black?

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The hen looks blue, also. When you breed blue to blue, the chicks will be black, blue, and splash.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The standard for bantam blue cochins calls for the legs to be "swarthy yellow." Perhaps someone with the APA standard can see if it differs for large fowl blue cochins.

7. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    What colors do Standard Cochins come in?

8. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    they come in a wide variety of colors. black, blue, splash, white, buff, barred, and partridge are the most common. they also come in gold and silver laced, lemon blue, and probably some others as well they also come in firzzled [​IMG]

9. cochinman2005

cochinman2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    From the APA Standard of Perfection:
    Blue Cochins -
    Shanks and Toes - Male - yellow, bottoms of feet, yellow. Female - Yellow to dusky yellow, bottoms of feet, yellow.

Recognized Large Fowl Varieties.
    Black, White, Buff, Partridge, Silver Laced, Golden Laced, Brown, Barred, Blue

10. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    Splash isn't recognized???
    I would have thought it would have been recognized!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by