Blue / Gray / Lavender ...difference?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BlackBart, Jul 11, 2010.

1. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    What is the difference between blue, gray or lavender? I can't tell the difference except for shades of gray.

I went to see somebody's Lavender Orpingtons, expecting to see lavender colored birds ([​IMG]) and I saw what I would call light gray.

I searched but couldn't find a description. Or is the shades of gray the difference? or is it more complicated?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Lavender and blue are completely different. As for gray- I've always assumed ti's just another name for blue, but in the context of breeds other than the usual orps, cochins, & the like. I could be wrong about that part though.

Lavender birds are a uniform color. They are very light.

Blue should be "laced" and can very in it's darkness. Blue roosters are usually really dark on top when they mature.

Beside that- lav & blue are different color genes.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Also- lavender will breed true, as blue (andalusian) will give you blue, black & splash.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Also, lavender goes by several different names. In the US, the recognised variety is called self-blue. Parts of Europe (Britain?) call it pearl grey. And self-blue is not necessarily lavender in other parts of the world.

Grey is entirely different than either of these. It is a patterned bird. It is multiple-laced partridge with silver instead of gold. It is exactly the same as silver partridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by