Blue/green feathers showing up on my BR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by xBRIANx, Oct 15, 2009.

1. xBRIANx

xBRIANx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Otis is an odd bird, both in body and mind. She is a barred rock bantam from MPC who is about 17 weeks old. She recently went through a quick molting. Today I was quite surprised to see a couple black/blue/green feathers have appeared. Does this mean there are some black plymouth rock genetics floating around in that weird, weird bird? Any thoughts or has anyone seen this before?

[​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Interesting... I've never seen that.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    That seems to be a unusual colour.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The green sheen in black feathers is a result of the feather structure, and how it refracts light, not a pigment deposited in the feather. That said, the feather looks unusual.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

It's reasonably common in barred rocks, (at least in UK). I gather most people just pull them out & hope they're barred when they grow back in; they often are. Dr.Clive Carefoot wrote the reason for these all black feathers but I can't remember offhand.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Lexie, who is an Ideal hatchery bird, has one solid black feather on her chest, which I've seen on several BRs.

7. critterluv

critterluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Hillsboro,Al.
    I have a BR hen ,her barring is that color,the whole feather is not solid just the dark bars.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I have seen it repeatedly in BRs, hatchery, breeder, and show stock. That just seems like an odd place. Most of the ones I have ever witnessed were in the tail (saddle) area. It has been my experience, as Krys stated, that if removed, it will grow in correctly after the next molt.

9. xBRIANx

xBRIANx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Like so many things chicken related, what is basic knowledge to a lot of you is a mystery to me.

I've enjoyed watching the EEs grow up and surprise me with their constant changes; it seems Otis has some surprises too.

We'll leave the feathers in place, no need to pluck as she's only a pet...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by