Blue/green laying sex linked

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JenniferDuBay, Nov 28, 2016.

1. JenniferDuBay

JenniferDuBay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2016
    What would be the easiest recipe to get blue/green eggs with sex linked colors? Additionally I would like them to be a heavy layer, preferably of large eggs.

2. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Do you want sexlinks (sexable with F1 only) or autosexing (sexable with every generation)?

If you want sexlinks it's ridiculously easy:
    Cross a male Ameraucana or other non-barred blue egg breed over barred females that lay white or brown eggs.

3. JenniferDuBay

Jul 27, 2016

Wouldn't that only get me blue eggs? Additionally, how can I be sure of BB on the rooster when purchasing?

4. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon

Blue egg male x white egg female = light blue eggs
    Blue egg male x brown egg female = green eggs (shade will vary based on how dark the brown is)

You'll want NON-barred males, so simply don't buy one with any barring and you'll be in good shape.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  5. chkiror

chkiror Just Hatched

Oct 29, 2016
    Portland oregon
    Cream legbar lay medium blue eggs. Autosexing so you can tell boys from girls at birth

6. JenniferDuBay

Jul 27, 2016

I was looking at them, but at 30 dollars a chick, that's pretty expensive

7. JenniferDuBay

Jul 27, 2016

So just to clarify, a male ameraucana over a California grey would produce sex linked, 100% blue laying chicks?

And if I crossed an olive egger with an amerauncana that would produce 50% green layers and 50% blue layers?

And assuming all of that is correct, how would I go about getting a barred olive egger?

And I know I am opening a can of worms, but how does one go about breeding autosexing?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  8. newhenintown

newhenintown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Sorry to jump on this post out of nowhere but just curious as to why you don't want a barred male? Im new and have never bred chickens. And I have a EE that is obviously crossed with something because he is barred.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Because the OP wants sex linked offspring. Any non-white, non-barred male crossed with a barred female will result in sex links. Male chicks will have a white head spot while female chicks will be solid in color.

You may want to check out the first post in this thread if you are interested in how sex links are created

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

10. JenniferDuBay

Jul 27, 2016

I think I can answer this. Barred is a sex linked attribute. In chickens, the genetics of male and female are reversed. They aren't called X and Y, but essentially, males have XX and females have XY. So if the female has barred on her X gene, then genetically speaking, only and all of the males would be barred, because the female would only supply the X gene to a male.

If the male were barred, he could supply the barred X to either males or females and thus, would be of no use in sexing.

Am I correct?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by