Blue Headed pure Cornish?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by primal woman, Jun 25, 2011.

1. primal woman

primal woman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    Attached are pictures of Cornish I hatched. The blue headed one; what gives? Anyone know? I also attached a pic of it when it was younger....downless. (discussed on another post) Seems these combs are a bit different from each other, but they are so young. Can anyone tell the sexes of these chicks despite the poor pictures? (moving, hence they are in a cage)

They are all pure White Laced Cornish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If I remember correctly you got these at a feed store?

3. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    No, I hatched them out of my white laced reds. I got those from someone else who did NOT get them from a feed store. I would not think feed stores would sell pure Cornish!

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know where the blue came from but it's beeutiful! Want to get a Dark Cornish but this is even prettier! Lucky you! [​IMG] Wonder if it will keep it the blue head once it gets its adult feathers. Funky about being down-less. This chick has just a been a mystery all along.

5. pepper48_98

pepper48_98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Tulsa,Ok
    I have hatched several WLR chicks this year and have had a few that have a blueish tent to them but when they molt they have lost most of it. I haven't had one with a blue head as of yet.

6. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    I would be curious to see some pictures of the parents.

7. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can tell, they are not show birds. But I am not into showing chickens or having to AI breed chickens. But this hen and rooster are supposed to be full White Laced Red Cornish. I don't claim to know everything, but if someone wants to kindly in a non derogatory way inform me they are not pure, then go ahead.

the hens mother was much darker. Perhaps this hen is what you guys call a jubilee? I don't know, but she is much lighter than her mother was. I caught her mother eating an egg in a nest so she never had a chance to digest that egg!

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I must have misread what you said before, they look really awesome in the pics.

9. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Very nice!

Does the hen look greyish white to you like she does in the pic? Are those a couple of darker feathers on her leg?

I'm thinking she could be a splash laced red instead of white laced red, that would give you blue chicks. I don't know if you have those over here but I've seen pics of them over here and they are very pretty. [​IMG]

You'll have to post pics of the surprise chick as it grows. [​IMG]

10. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    These are the same two parent birds I offered for sale some months back Katy.

Also, it does not seem like her feathers are less white than his and I don't see any colored feathers on her legs. The current pictures I am posting now are after living cooped up for three weeks due to living in a rental and not being able to take care of a resident momma fox. The outdoor pictures were free range; NO man made feeds. Indoor shots are fed man made food. (in other words; crap)
    Hard to find a good picture to send with that sun shining into coop like it is this early AM. Will post some and then also more of the chicks. As you can see, I get white ones too. I too would not be surprised to see the blue head go away. I'll try to take pictures as it gets older as well. Curious minds wonder...as I do too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by