Blue heated dog water bowls from tractor supply

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Redgolden1, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Redgolden1

Redgolden1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    Hi I'm back with an update on the blue water bowls I bought them they work great but cleaning them was an issue I have a lot of bowls to clean so a quick fix is use the 3 quart rubber bowls inside the blue bowls fits perfect easy to remove and I don't have to unplug the bowls to clean now

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    One of the downsides of using open water bowls in the winter is freezing of the wattles when they get wet. you can take those heated water bowls, fill them about three quarters of the way with sand, then put a regular waterer on top of the sand. The waterer should sit down inside the edge of the blue water bowl.

3. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. Redgolden1

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    Nice thanks

5. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You are welcome - just passing on someone else's great idea!

6. Redgolden1

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    This is my first year so trial and error ! Thanks for pics and info! Send pics of your birds

7. ChickenboyNmom

ChickenboyNmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    South Lyon
    Thanks for the post. I just set up some heated dog bowls for my bantams & polish. One of the Polish hens has a wet head. It must have been from dipping it in the bowl. I'm concerned about the Polish roosters wattles. I had already put a vaseline type salve on today. I don't want his wattles getting wet. I will make some more adjustments tomorrow before the single digit temps come in again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by