1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Iodine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JSC, Sep 8, 2008.

1. JSC

JSC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Union, Mo.
    We have a Buff Orpington that the flock has pulled out the feathers and pecked here above her tail feathers to the point that she has a sore (bleeding). We took her out of the coop and put her in the chick cage and she is healing well. What I was wondering is the name of the blue stuff you put on the bloody places so it can heal and the rest of the flock don't see the red from the blood and keep pecking at it.

Thanks JSC's Hubby

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    It's Blu-Kote, and it contains gentian violet, among other things. It comes in an orange-brown spray can, and most feed stores/co-ops carry it.

If that doesn't help the picking, you might need to up the ante with a no-pick spray, but in most cases this does the trick if the skin is pretty healed.

If this hen gets picked on, you might also watch to make sure she's getting access to food and water when she's back with the others, or she's liable to suffer further health problems down the road. Good luck!

3. JSC

JSC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Union, Mo.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    It's helpful to try to wear some rubber gloves when using this, trust me I was scrubbing purple dye off for a few days. [​IMG]

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I swear by this stuff, but if it gets on you when the bird shakes, you wlil be sorry. Took me forever to get off all the tiny little dots on my face and the friend who was helping me the first time we used it has never forgotten the experience! Hold the bird super firmly, and ut her down slowly. Then run!

That said excellent stuff.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Sorry for repeat above: Texas posted while I was fixin infernal typos in my post.

7. JSC

JSC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Union, Mo.
    Quote:Nothing wrong with more info![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by