Blue-ish Ameraucana ****** NEW PICTURES OF 2ND BIRD in Post #19 ******

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aaggjg, Nov 23, 2011.

1. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Ok so I am a total chicken newbie and don't know much... well 3 months into my chicken adventure. I bought 2 supposedly pure bred pullets at the end of August. I really wanted a Blue .... The breeder only had a 3 month old blue who was all grey when I got it but now at 6-7 ish months has some brown feathers (yuck) and I got a black 6 week old to keep it company... So I am guessing not purebred?? Also in the last few weeks the comb has gotten really red which I thought was a sign of about to lay ..... Then I started thinking about this chicken a few nights ago and thought hmmm the comb seems like it is a lot bigger too... and then all of a sudden I thought is this a rooster and duh at 6-7 months it should be obvious as its not a silkie [​IMG] but like I said I am a newbie and this is what I was told from a breeder so I took it at face value. I took a few pictures tonight .... I feel really dumb not questioning this earlier but it has not crowed .... so any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's a cockerel. Couldn't tell you if it is a true ameraucana or not.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be an EE or a true Ameraucana that just has a great deal of base color leakage.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, not a pure bred - he's and Easter Egger cockerel.

5. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Thats what I thought.... The lightbulb finally went off the other day.... Not to mention he is a MEAN BUGGER so he is out of here!!!

Darn now I have to wait for Mole the little black one to lay an egg!! Well unless she turns out to be a he too!!! but she looks like a pullet to me and is very sweet..... so crossing fingers.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats 100% roo and looks more like an ee. you can tell hes a roo by his hackle feathers and saddle feathers plus he crowed

7. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Oops TYPO he has NOT CROWED !!! That of course even a total trusting moron like me would clue into right away [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Easter Egger cockerel. Hackle feathers, saddle feathers, and color. That's a "boy's only" color. And Ameraucanas only come in certain colors (which don't include this guy's) and you can only obtain them from breeders. Hatcheries falsely label their EEs as Ameraucanas (and all the incumbent misspellings) and/or Araucanas. But no matter. Ameraucanas were derived from EEs anyway. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    I got him from a "breeder" ..... sexed at 3 months.... [​IMG]

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Hmm... Well, it could be a pure with a whole lot of leakage, but for a "breeder" to sex an EE OR Ameraucana at 3 months and tell you it's a pullet... No way. All of mine (EEs) I could tell at 8 weeks. 3 months would be SUPER obvious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by