1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Iza?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suliah, Nov 11, 2014.

1. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    I don't have pics, but a craigslist ad near me has a guy selling an interesting assortment... Wheaten Marans, Penedesencas, Blue laced red wyandottes, Russian Orloff's, White Leghorns,

And Blue Iza's...

He seems to kinda know his stuff, but I've never heard of a Blue Iza...

Any ideas from the crowd?

I'm pretty sure it's the same guy I got my chicks from, which are all questionable breeding honestly... I know he had blue copper marans but he wouldn't sell them to me because he was keeping the only chicks he had left, and I'm wondering if his "Blue Iza" is some mix with those.

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/grd/4755608389.html

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Never heard of a Blue Iza, but the misspelling itself suggests to me perhaps he's trying to capitalize on brand image without getting sued. (?) There are Isa Browns and Isa Whites, but no Isa Blues, as defined by the company that owns the 'breed'.

Quote: This link below is to the owners of that brand and creators of the 'breed'. If there is no Isa Blue on their site then there is no true Isa Blue. (There isn't an Isa Blue on their site, lol).

This guy may be trying to make 'Iza Blues' but they are not the genuine article and sound like crossbreeds, or mongrels, to me. I'd expect they have at least four breeds in their immediate parentage.

Quote:
    Best wishes.

3. suliah

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    Lol that's great!

Thanks, I didn't know any of that! I wonder what he's mixed up to create those things? Especially since he claims they're a great layer of dark brown eggs! Maybe a blue marans and an Isa brown?

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hmm, well we must assume I guess that whatever these 'Iza Blues' are descended from is likely to be present in his current flock, but figuring out which ones would involve more knowledge of genetics than I currently possess. ;)

From my limited knowledge, though, I think your guess sounds like a good bet. If only there were some pics of them, that would help, there's many genetically knowledgeable people on this site that could probably visually dissect it according to breed traits and pinpoint likely progenitors from the current birds he has.

Best wishes.

5. suliah

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    I just emailed him and asked what they are and could he send pics...

We'll see what he says.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

B.T. Barnum was right.

7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You mean P.T. Barnum? 'There's a sucker born every minute'?

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Should be interesting to see but I highly doubt you'll get anything from him. To me (admittedly perhaps a little cynical) this already sounds like a guy who knows he's pulling a swifty... ;)

I get the impression he has put time and thought into this, including contemplation of the potential legal consequences of trying to market his own strain of Isa type layers...

Anyway, perhaps I shouldn't judge before I know for sure, aye? Looking forward to whatever you find out. Does he have a website?

Best wishes.

9. suliah

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    Wow got an answer!

"They are a blue copper maran and amber link cross"

But no pics... :(

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    As I suspected, it is a mixed breed bird with a creative name stuck on it to try to make it seem desirable and special.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by