Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moodusnewchick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I've recently noticed an increase in blue jay action around my chickens. Are these birds predators to chickens/chicks or just eggs? how about bantam chickens?
    thanks!

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I would imagine, much like crows, bluejays would offer a protective effect for chickens by grouping together and running off aerial predators...

That's what they do at my house. they don't pay the chickens any mind whatsoever and the chickens aren't afraid of them.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't think blue jays are a threat to your chickens/chicks/eggs with the exception they may carry disease, mites and lice. But that's any wild bird.
    The blue jays here never entered my coop, now those nasty filthy english starlings that is another story.
    Just like bluey said they harrass the local hawk population so they are welcome in my yard anytime and they eat very little of the scratch I throw out as a treat for the chickens in the evening. They earn there keep.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Mr. Rumpled's great great great great great great grandbabies are great for ratting out Mr. Hawk...
    They don't bother my babies at all...

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Yes, blue jays are a deterrent to hawks. But they can be a predator of chicks (never seen this only read this). But only for the very young I would think (1-2 week olds).

6. stacym

stacym Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Kennard, Nebraska
    Have you noticed that Blue Jay's like to mimic other birds? I have one that steals the outside cat food. Then he likes to sit on a branch near the chickens and makes Red Tailed Hawk sounds. Yours is probably waiting to cash in on some chicken feed. [​IMG]

7. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I had bluejays get in between spaces left in a chicken wire topped pen. They were eating the food. Did not bother the chickens! Funny some found their way in but couldn't get out till I opened the door. Susan

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Blue jays, like crows, are sort of "watchdogs" of the natural world. They alert other animals to the presence of danger. They're also very smart and fun to watch.

I would imagine it's okay for them to hang around as long as they can't get into your run. They might contaminate your chickens' feed or spread parasites.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I have one that likes to see me running out of the house in my jammies...I swear he laughs at me every time...the bugger...
    I had one that mimicked Slifer's crow...must've really made the neighbour nuts...lol

10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've learned the call a blue jay makes when he's found a food source (namely, the suet basket hanging in the tree outside our window). It's the ugliest sounding cry but, then, I've heard the same blue jays make beautiful flute like noises. I think they're fascinating and they've never bothered my chickens although they've dive bombed the cat. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by