Blue Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ZuniBee, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I am hooked on blue chickens since seeing Suede and have decided to raise different varieties of blues. I am getting some of Suedes eggs in January so I will hopefully start my flock of Blue orps.

Yesterday I found Blue Jersey Giants! Wow, what a big chicken and beautiful blue. So, my second blue variety is going to be Blue Jersey Giants. I'm getting a blue rooster, a blue hen, and 7 chicks - blue, black and splash. Anyone have experience with them?

[​IMG]

2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have them, and they're great BIG birds. They seem to eat about the same as my other birds, though. They also (to me) have a different sound, but I'm not sure if it's because of their size or their breed. When the roos 'growl' it sounds really deep compared to other breeds. I love mine. [​IMG]

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I was thinking about getting some Jersey giants too. I just cant get over the blue birds, I was the same way when I was younger with my Neatherland dwarf rabbits, all blues. Once you get them let me know how they are. [​IMG]

4. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    the blue andalusians are nice .

5. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    Lovely birds! Where did you find the Blue Jersey Giants?

6. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    Love my Blue Laced Jersey Giants, I have two pair, and the hens should start laying soon. Very interested in knowing where you got yours.

7. ZuniBee

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I found them on a rare chickens group I bleong to. They are coming from Florida.

8. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    Would you like to see some pics of mine, I would have to email them to you cause I think my camera takes such big pictures I can't get them on here. I can downsize to email.

9. ZuniBee

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Yes, I would love to see them. I am very excited and can't wait to get mine. I have a brand new coop I just built and half will be the Blue Jersey Giants and the other half will be the Blue Orps from speckledhen.

I can receive large pics no problem.

Thanks!

edited to add - I sent you a PM with me email address.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  10. anniemyth

anniemyth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2007
    Clark county, Indiana
    I have a jersey giant splash rooster and hen and two other blue jersey giant hens. They are lovely gentle birds. and big. but it is 26 weeks and still no eggs. They grow their frame the first year and then fill out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by