Blue JG Roo X Buff Orpington Hens = Blue Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Can I cross a Blue Jersey Giant Roo with Buff Orpington hens and get Blue Orpingtons or would I get Buff Jersey Giants? What about the leg color? How would I get it to be white?

2. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I was wondering the same thing, only I have a black Jersey Giant roo in with Buff Orp hens.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have 1 Blue JG Roo, 2 Black JG Pullets, and 1 Splash JG pullet.
    The rooster is old enough he has already picked "His" hen's out. [​IMG]
    Just wondering ..

4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Can I cross a Blue Jersey Giant Roo with Buff Orpington hens and get Blue Orpingtons or would I get Buff Jersey Giants? What about the leg color? How would I get it to be white?

I did, what suppose to be a Black Jersey Giant, as it turned out a mongrel Australorp from Meyer Hatchery to a high quility Buff Orp line and had 5 chicks. 4 of the 5 were a Black with alot of Red leakage. This is the only one I kept.
    I use him as a Black he throws ONLY Blues when taken to my only breeding Blue Splash Orp hen.

[​IMG]
    When taken to a Black Orp hen, I get about 90% all Black chicks. Now IF my boy was a true JG the numbers and appearance would be more consistant.
    Here is what he produces when taken back to a Black Orp hen.
    I can live with this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You think I could do it then?
    Or would I have Blue/Buff JG/Orps?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

To me you would still just have a mixed breed bird. Some of us disagree with Bill about what exactly he's creating with some of his mixes. I guess as long as a person doesn't breed them together and sell the eggs...or birds as anything other than a mix no one is getting hurt. There is nothing wrong with mixed breeds birds...often they out lay purebred birds and you come up with some very pretty birds.​

7. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Originally my breeding was to see IF my AKERS Buff Orpington pullets were fertile. The guy I got them from had never hatched an egg they laid. So, to see I turned loose an overly horny young cockerel. And he solved that as an issue. I knew I can go out and get a good Buff cock.
    I then thought about making a partial Akers line in Black,s cause at that time, I only knew of three breeders who had Blacks and would help me find a cockerel for my Russ Milkey Black Orp pullets.
    I took a pure bred Blue Splash to the offspring (BUSTOFF) of the BLK/BUFF Orp mix to get Blues.
    In this pic. There are Blues from BUSTOFF, Blues from my PUREBRED BLACK ORP Cock Feran taken to Julie's (BAMMA's) girl. Some are noticeably not pure Orps some are indestinguishable from the others. No one knows who is who except me. And I am never too certain who is from who. I like it that way lololol
    As of today, I am only using my Feran and BAMMA's girl in breeding. For next season so I know I have pure Blue Orps to compare with. BUT I gather to say BUS will be runnin over some more Orp hens again.

[​IMG]
    This is just to compare another 50% AKERS line purebred BUFF Orpington cockerel from my Capt RON line. He is purebred. Now IF we could turn BOSS HOGG to Buff, I see nearly the same built bird. That is what I am after. I know I have some more issues to clean up on both Black and Buff AKERS lines. But I will get it done. EVENTUALLY. lolol
    [​IMG]
    BOSS HOGG turns out being from BUS too
    [​IMG]
    His brother, is way too leggy, but I was told by an old timer (Jack), he does not mind a leggy bird IF there is alot going for him (size & type)
    [​IMG]
    A for sure BUS Blue boy. For sure their tales stink. Cause my Blue Orp splash hen's tail stinks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    KATY I have never sold a Black Orp anything. I gave 7 free Black Orp chick back to Russ Milkey as a gift for him turning me onto Orps last summer. About a year ago. And those were from my Carlos Jr and his girls.
    This year nothing will change. KORgo will go back to his sis', FERAN will run with his half sis from an egg I hatched last spring from his lines Black Orp breeeders, and Flozelle gets my only Milkey hen LahFawnDuh. To make sure I have another year with Milkey's line. Now I did promise the Schultz's and jeb251 some birds. And they will know what their getting.
    OH forget to say DOC (BAMMA's big Blue cock bird) has the number one Black Orpington hens.
    And I like the boys he is producing, like young 4 to 5 month ole L A R S
    Just so you can compare top notch to BUS bottom
    [​IMG]
    Better not forget about Leni. And I have 6 for sure really young Black cockerels from DOC too. All are pure from the best I have. I am happy will them as much or more so then ever.
    [​IMG]

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:To me you would still just have a mixed breed bird. Some of us disagree with Bill about what exactly he's creating with some of his mixes. I guess as long as a person doesn't breed them together and sell the eggs...or birds as anything other than a mix no one is getting hurt. There is nothing wrong with mixed breeds birds...often they out lay purebred birds and you come up with some very pretty birds.

I agree with Katy. You would still have a mixed breed.
    I know you want to know what color you would get .... that is your question. It could be anything, as you don't know the genetic makeup of your buff and your blue JG.

9. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I doubt you will get any solid Blue from the initial breeding, but I think the offspring will IF they get taken back to a Blue or Black.
    I think you will get more that are perfect solids then those that have leakage.

10. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are some pretty interesting flock management practices visible in those photos.

By "interesting", I mean filthy and disgusting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by