Blue Kote and chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by australorp_breeder, Oct 7, 2009.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    You're not suppose to eat chicken eggs once the chickens have Blue Kote on them. I was told you're suppose to wait a while after the last applicant of Blue Kote before you can eat their eggs again. I haven't put Blue Kote on my chickens for two weeks. Do you think that's long enough to start eating their eggs again?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

well, I haven't heard that about blu-kote but 2 weeks is usually right for worming apps, so I would think it's ok. Wait and see what others here say though!

3. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Alrighty, thank you. I'll await others responses. My chickens have never had worms before, so I don't know.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I suppose I should be dead. I have never withheld eggs or milk because of BluKote applications. Used to use it on udders and the skin of dairy goats all the time. Use it on chickens now.

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    the blue in blue kote is gentian violet- used forever on people (and animals) for it's antiseptic and antifungal properties. Maybe cancer-causing in large amounts, but has a long long history of safe use. Don't drink the stuff. I think eating eggs from chickens sprayed with this topical is not a problem.

6. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thanks guys! And lol cassie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by