Blue-kote and Rooster Booster are not working...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Coop de Grille, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    What else can I try? My little Ameraucana roo has had his entire tail pecked off. I don't know what else to do for him. I don't want to remove him from the flock, he is already the lowest in the pecking order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just realized I put this in the wrong category. I will repost it in Emergencies/Diseases etc. I can't figure out how to delete it from this category though.. can someone help me remove this post?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    To get feathers to come, isolate him. I do it all the time and such isolated birds do great. Once feathers are in place, bird can then be integrated back into flock.

The isolation bit I do for all males as it preserves feather quality on even high ranking birds and keeps them primed for when hatching eggs are desired. I house isolated birds in 4' x 5' pens that are moved about frequently to keep them on fresh grass.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i agree. You're going to have to separate him or the others will just keep pecking on that spot.

4. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    If you want this in a different forum, report it to a mod.

I agree with the others. You are gonna have to remove him from the others.

5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I separated him and four of his female hatch mates in my baby pen. I don't know who is doing all the pecking on him but I'm guessing it's my older hens. I will check him again in the AM and if there is any more damage then I will put him by himself.

6. janelle18

janelle18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I am glad you separated him! I had to cull a hen yesterday because she got picked on so bad that her back end was literally destroyed, it was so sad :(, needless to say the litter pecker who did it is also gone. Once the new feathers growing (that are full of blood) break the other chickens are attracted to it and will also peck. I have one hen who looks like your roo in isolation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by