Blue Kote question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hippie Chicks Mom, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Hi. I have a question on Blue Kote (after the fact), I have one hen who gets her neck feathers pecked by one of my more aggressive hens. I sprayed it on her neck, covering her face first, as not to get any on her face. Her neck is now purple. They first seemed fascinated with this and I am afraid they will peck more. Also, when she preens she gets it on her beak. Is that ok? The bottle says not to let dogs lick it. Thanks for any or all of your insight.

Viivan's Mom

2. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    The other chickens might find this purple coloration interesting and decide to peck at it but i have no experience with blue kote. I can tell you pine tar is my product of choice because it's a nice brown color and make you chickens smell like pine trees! [​IMG]

3. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I have a Cochin that had her head plucked clean of feathers and was bleeding fairly bad. I covered her head with blue kote and she has been good to go and her feathers are now growing back. No problem with her tasting it and the others have been ok with her since.

4. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Thanks so much! They seem to be ignoring her since then. I will try pine tar. Where do you get it from?

5. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I dont advocate spending the money on another product unless absolutely nessicary(sp?) but you can get it in feed stores. It is usually in the equine section in a small can. You can always ask you friendly store clerk!

And remember this suff is STICKY!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by