Blue Lace Red Wyandotte experts needed :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Riocotesei, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    There is someone in my area that breeds BLRW's, and she will have chicks available that I can drive and pick up, but before I buy from her I want to see what her stock looks like and what lines hers are from. I will be buying SS from her regardless, but I want to be particularly picky with this breed.
    So this is where BYC comes in!
    Can you guys tell me what I should look for when I see her breeders?
    What are some good lines that come for BLRW?
    What are some traits that I should absolutely stay away from (if any) ?
    I've heard single combs make for good fertility, if she has some like that, should I stay away or is that ok?
    Thanks for anyones help!! [​IMG]

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quality Blue Laced Red Wyandottes are hard to come by. Look at the Standard shape of a Wyandotte. It should look like a curvy ball with an indent for the back. The coloring, ideally, will be as perfectly laced as a Sebright. The majority of the feather should be a brown red color, light mahogony, with an even dark blue lace around the entire feather. Avoid birds that lack depth (skinny). Wyandottes are to be wide and cobby. Their beaks should be short and heads should be broad. The tail is the most frequently faulted part. It shouldn't be as round as a Cochin, and it not as flat as a Leghorn. Avoid sticky tails. My guess is that these are layer quality birds and will be far from Standard quality.

3. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Thats what I figured as well. I asked her at one point in an e-mail where she got her birds from and she told me, but I have forgotten. I think I'll go look up the e-mail and post it on here if it says a specific line she had.

4. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Ahh this is what she said
    All my breeders are from many different sources, I don't have any hatchery stock, except my Speckled Sussex. All my other breeders are purchased from many different breeders on eggbid and eBay. I have purchased eggs from breeders everywhere, all my birds are excellent quality stock.

So she probably does not have the best quality, but it's probably better than hatchery birds.....​

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    There is a BLRW group on yahoo that you should join and ask around and look at pics.

6. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
  7. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Taken from bluelacedred.com

This is a good looking bird, from the picture (though the cushion should be larger, however , definitely one of the better BLW I have seen in the US. ) . The Blue laced Red, should have a heart shaped profile, wide back, good cushion. Rose comb (must have a spike, no spike is a disqualification, bird will not be judged).

Problems to look out for.

1. Spikeless combs
    2. Long back
    3. flat chest
    4. legs are not yellow! (if its a hen that been laying the yellow maybe burnt out to a straw color and thats ok).

The most important thing to remember is this
    HEART SHAPED profile
    yellow legs
    Rose comb with spike

use the above 3 as your criteria should be easy and, will get you a good bird

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  8. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Thank you guys!
    That is a very good website as well.
    Very good informatioin to have. [​IMG]

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    If you're looking to purchase from who I think you are, she got some of her stock from me and at least one other breeder up north. Does she live in Quitman?

10. KMarie

KMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Eastern OK
    Blisschick:
    Do you have any BLR Wyandottes for sale during Mid-March? If so could I message you to get pricing and shipping?
    Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by