BLUE LACED RED COCHIN

pokey

Warrior Princess
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
1,313
4
171
upstate
has anyone ever tried to produce a blue laced red cochin? is it possible? if so does anyone have pics to show? thanks
 

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
2,585
13
214
Memphis TN
It will be a while but I will do so. I think the Blue Partridge is so pretty.

Here are some Blue Partridge Brahma so you can see the color.

 

keesmom

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
10,130
3,671
461
MA
How would one create a blue partridge bird? I saw a picture of some blue partridge wyandottes on feathersite and they were gorgeous too. It can't be as easy as crossing a blue and a partridge, is it?

How about a blr cochin or an orpington? BLRW x blue? How many generations would it take before lacing starts to appear from such a cross?

-Cindy in MA
 

flyingmonkeypoop

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
3,592
159
271
Deer Park Washington
I can tell you how to make blue laced gold cochins. Ok first get some blue or splash cochin bantam hens. Then get a gold laced male, maybe two just to be safe. Cross the GL to the blue and keep all the blue daughters from that, more than likely they will be solid blue with a few gold flecks. Breed those back to a gold laced rooster. In my experience with this kind of project you will get about 75% laced birds and the other 25% will be solid black/blue. The laced birds will look good but some of the lacing wont be complete. You breed the blue laced gold females back to a gold laced male and breed the blue laced gold males to gold laced females. That will give you blue laced gold. For blue laced red you will have to introduce the mahogany gene which I dont know how to do. That would be the better way to get birds that would be pure so you wouldnt have to worry about regaining type and all that.
Another way would be to cross in BLR wyandottes but you have the clean legs and rose comb to worry about.

For blue partridge it is a similar deal, breed blue females to partridge males, keep the F1 daughters and breed them back to a partridge male. Keep the offspring from them and mate them back to partridge.
 

keesmom

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
10,130
3,671
461
MA
I was wondering about the blue laced red because I have a chance to get a single comb BLRW roo, which would reduce the rose comb issue.

-Cindy in MA
 

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
1,064
22
191
Missouri
Wouldn't crossing a blue hen to a gold laced rooster produce a blue laced _gold_? I've read that trying to breed the gold out of a blue laced red is extremely difficult. It's why I didn't bother buying any BLR Wyandottes from McMurray hatchery - their breeding stock comes from gold laced crosses.

Is it possible to crossed red hens and blue hens with a silver laced rooster. Could future generations be bred together to create a genuine BLR or would it be easier to breed the gold and try to get the red back into it?

I have a beautiful red Ameracauna/Easter Egger rooster that I'm crossing with my Silver Laced Wyandotte hens to try and develop a solid flock of BLR Easter Eggers that lay eggs as close to blue as possible.
 

keesmom

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
10,130
3,671
461
MA
Yes, Mike gave the example of a blue hen crossed with a gold laced roo as a way to make a gold laced blue. He wasn't sure how to get mahogany into the mix other than using a BLRW.

I managed to get a blue laced red EE once. Unfortunately I'm sure she was a one of a kind. She was from a BLRW roo crossed with a brown bearded and muffed EE with some patterning (not quite sure if it was a partridge pattern). Outcome was a beautifully laced bearded and muffed EE. She did have yellow legs. Hawk managed to get her before she laid any eggs.

-Cindy in MA
 

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
1,064
22
191
Missouri
Right now I have two poorly marked Blue Laced Gold Ameraucana hens. My problem is figuring out what to breed them back to. They need more defined lacing, so I'm tempted to use my Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster, but on the other hand I'd like to swap that gold out to red and thought the red Ameraucana might do the trick.

Breeding programs are so evil. I know before this is over with I'll be trying to hatch out dozens of chicks to see what I come up with.

Great timing now that winter is almost here...
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom