Blue Laced Red mating

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by givengrove, Mar 17, 2017.

1. givengrove

givengrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    How could I produce a blue laced red COCHIN?
    Would it be possible to breed a normal silver pencil cochin rooster (SP) with a blue laced red wyandotte hen (BLR)?
    What would be the result? Is the gene that produces the blue lacing dominant or is it repressed by the silver? Would the outcome be more of a mix or could I get a rare chance of hatching a BLR cochin? I'm new to genetics and I'm curious how to breed a BLR Cochin.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

A Cochin x BLRW cross would be a good place to start, though if it was me, I would not even consider using a Silver Penciled Cochin. A Golden Laced Cochin would be a vastly superior choice. If anything else, Silver laced.

Then... using a GLC or SLC... give it maybe five to ten years of breeding and hatching many chicks and culling heavily for type and lacing. if you do use a Silver Penciled bird, make that maybe twenty years. Seriously, if you do want to try a project like this, forget Silver Penciled birds entirely. With a GLW x BLRW, your first gen will have nice lacing and some will indeed be a BLR in color, but the type will very much mixed and the birds will be neither Cochin nor Wyandotte. If you start with good birds (both in type and color) and make good selection back to Cochin type, you might have some pretty nice stock in five years or so. Just keep in mind that creating a new variety is not an easy project nor a quick one, ESPECIALLY a complicated pattern like lacing.

3. givengrove

givengrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    Thank you! I've been trying to get someone to respond, I've been very curious.
    5 years is a long time but it will be worth it to get what I want.
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by