Blue Laced Red Old English??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lazyoranch, Sep 16, 2010.

1. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    Is it possible to breed for a Blue Laced Red Old English? What would you start with? I just love these colors with the lacing. Thanks!

2. Lazy W Poultry

Lazy W Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I don't know much on this, but I think I would find a barred OEG male and a couple of self blue OEG hens breed them together to put blue in your barred. I don't know if you will get any this away in the first breeding but you may when you breed the offspring together ( But I am just guessing ) don't take my word on it. But gives you somewhere to start anyhow.

You may have better luck with a Silver or Golden Laced Sebright male on Blue OEG hens???????

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yes but it would take some time and maybe some cross breeding..
    You are going to need a good Red Old English (if you cant find a good deep red Old English then you are going to have to use a Rhode Island Red).
    You will also need a good Gold Laced Old English there are some around but might be hard to find
    And you will need a Blue Old English....

Then just follow tadkerson (Tim) post's here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269384&p=1 on creating a Blue Laced Red Cochin.

Chris

4. lazyoranch

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    Thanks for the replies!! Big help!!

5. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe BLRW Bantam X OEG

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oooh, if anyone manages to breed some BLR OEGB, I'd sure be interested in some. [​IMG]

7. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    We have a game hen that came over from a neighboring farm. She was part of a pair of working games that someone had brought over there, hoping to raise some chicks I assume. Something happened to the stag and only the hen remained. When the farm sold and there were no longer feed available in the cattle feeders the old hen worked her way over to our place. For about a month she would roost in a hemlock tree close to our coop, I would always throw out a little scratch for her to eat before I let my birds out. Eventually she moved on in to the coop and settled in. Last year she went broody, I put some of my daughters 4H old english red pyle batams birds eggs under her, which she hatched and raised. This year she came up missing, figured something got her or she had hid her nest, which made me curious which rooster or roosters she might have mated with, her options being, my silver laced or blue laced red brahma project birds which are twice her size or the red pyle OEG which would be closer to her size. I figured it would be her choice for as small as she was compared to the brahmas she took no lip from anyone, she is one bad little hen. Sure enough she come up one day with 9 chicks following behind. The hen is mostly black with some brownish penciling you can see in the right light, with grey legs. Most of the chicks have yellow legs, a couple with blue legs, one very black legs. It was pretty obvious she had been partial to the blue laced red rooster. You would have to breed out the feathered legs, but would be a good start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could not find the two pullets, or the old hen to take photos, I'm afraid she may be trying to bring of a second brood.

If anyone is interested in these guys let me know, already have too many irons in the fire now.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. lazyoranch

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    Quote:I am interested in these!! Please send me a PM! Thanks!

9. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Found an older photo of the hen and a few of the chicks when smaller.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by