blue laced red orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OnlyOrps, Feb 12, 2015.

1. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    I have a blr orp rooster and nothing else. What can I breed him to? I want to start a flock and hens/chicks are next to impossible to find. I realize it's a project so not expecting perfection but if any genetics experts can help me figure out what color variety I could buy to put in with this fella it would be much appreciated!

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Cross him with some black Orp hens and then breed the female chicks back to him next year.

3. OnlyOrps

Jan 20, 2015
    Awesome! I had my eye on some black chicks to order next! That fits in perfectly with my plans. Thanks!

4. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Just to let you know the birds from that cross will be all black with possible leakage in the males neck. After you breed those black crosses back to their dad you will see lacing again. The lacing may not be good so most likely you will need to breed the poorly laced females to their grandpa to get back to good lacing. This is a called line breeding.

5. OnlyOrps

Jan 20, 2015
    I will keep this in mind. Thanks for all the advice! I was worried I might not get to use the poor guy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by