Blue Laced Red Wyandotte 5 weeks old pullet??

MixedFlock23

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Southern Illinois
Hello! I bought a BLRW from a hatchery vent sexed as a female as a day old chick. “She” is now 5 weeks 2 days old and has a lot of red in her comb and wattles. She is curious and often stands tall to check things out. She comes to us to be held and hasn’t ever challenged/chest bumped or acted like a roo. (She was raised with one vent sexed cockerel and two other vent sexed pullets by my friend up until last weekend when we picked her up from them. I introduced her to my other chicks and she did not show any roo like behavior here either.) I’ve read that Wyandottes do have red combs & wattles early compared to other breeds, but I would like more opinions from those of you who have more experience with Wyandottes. I had a few SLW four years ago but I don’t remember when their combs/wattles reddened. I love her splash lacing... and I really want her to be a her!
Thank you! All the photos are of the same chick.

Attachments

MixedFlock23

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Southern Illinois
It’s overcast today, but I just took some outside in natural lighting (no flash) and then in the bathroom with all four lights on plus my phone’s flash. Thanks!

Attachments

MixedFlock23

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Southern Illinois
That's what I'm afraid of. I have 8 straight runs also (they are 10 weeks old) and 6 of them appear to be cockerels!! (Two are crowing, the cochin is my profile pic and has had red wattles/combs since 5 weeks old, and the other three are silkies with streamer hair.)

Ah!! And now one of my 5 sexed pullets seems to be a cockerel. This is not a good year for chicks for us. I thought I'd have 9 hens and 4 roos from this lot. Not 6 hens and 7 roos. 😭

MixedFlock23

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Southern Illinois
Is there a way to rotate photos on here? I couldn't find a way. I took the photos on my phone and they weren't sideways until I uploaded them on here. I couldn't figure out how to rotate them, so I had to log on to the computer, save the images to my desktop, delete them from byc, rotate them on my desktop, and now I'm re-uploading them.

Attachments

Top Bottom