Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, 5 Wks: Male or Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, May 9, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, I'm sorry about the fuzzy quality of the first pic--the baby was too close because he/she insists on being my best buddy, but I've included a pic of the feathering and you can see the legs as well. Wyandottes are harder for me than others due to the pullets sometimes getting some pink in their combs and wattles earlier than other breeds seem to, so I'm tossing this one up for a vote. This is out of breeder stock, which I've not had before. There were three of them, one a definite male from just three weeks old with a bright red comb. This one wasn't as easy to tell at that point. So, what say you, BYCers? I'm leaning toward male right now even though the legs are not thick at all, but I've been fooled by Wyandottes more than even Orpingtons. Super friendly little cuss, as you can see, always on my chair or in my lap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Looks like a little roo to me.

3. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    give it a couple more weeks and it'll be obvious

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I am having the same issue! I have 4, 5 week old BLRW's. 2 are splash. And while 2 look to be roo's based on comb redness and wattles, all 4 are feathering out so beautifully, they have no bald spots, nice tail areas...I am stumped! and to boot, my camera has quit uploading on me. Some cheap kodak easy share....not so easy! Good luck! Time will tell I know, but id love to know NOW [​IMG]

5. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    roo for me...[​IMG]

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My first thought was a roo as well.

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:x2

8. speckledhen

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. He comes from the Foleys very nice stock so guess I'll see if someone would like to have him for their lovely BLRW girls. I can only keep a very limited number of chicks from this hatch, unfortunately.

9. speckledhen

I finally got a couple of better pictures today-so sorry for the earlier ones. I'm pretty sure it's a male, but I want to hold out hope a bit longer. This is the sweetest, friendliest kid in the coop, other than the BR cockerel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    if that's a roo, is mine a pullet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by