Blue Laced Red Wyandotte breeding for color

infiniti

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Kentucky
I just recently acquired two Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens. They are big and beautiful, but they have a little bit of washed out coloring. How and what do I need to breed them with to get the darker colors? Keep in mind that I am new to the genetics side of chicken colors. Be gentle and detailed....and not rude with your answers, please :)

Thanks!!

I guess I can talk about it myself. LOL.
Anyway, I was reading an article that said Foley (who happens to be where these birds came from) uses a black chicken every 3rd generation (or every 3rd year ...can't remember which). I need to know what they are talking about specifically. Are they adding a solid black chicken of any breed? Are they adding a Silver Laced Wyandotte? The two I have are hens. I am assuming that I can use them in order to darken the color by adding the black rooster?
Please help!!!
idunno.gif

I guess I can talk about it myself. LOL.
Anyway, I was reading an article that said Foley (who happens to be where these birds came from) uses a black chicken every 3rd generation (or every 3rd year ...can't remember which). I need to know what they are talking about specifically. Are they adding a solid black chicken of any breed? Are they adding a Silver Laced Wyandotte? The two I have are hens. I am assuming that I can use them in order to darken the color by adding the black rooster?
Please help!!!
idunno.gif
To darken up the red in offspring, breed a BLRW that is the black lace. BLRW can be black (no dilution gene), blue (1 dilution gene present), splash, (2 dilution genes present).

Come on over to https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/466415/blue-laced-red-wyandotte-thread, you will learn all you want!

Back
Top Bottom