Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Chicks Gender Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JensMaverick, Apr 10, 2016.

1. JensMaverick

JensMaverick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    I have 2 four week old blue laced red Wyandotte chicks that I am trying to figure out gender. These are our first Wyandottes. One is very light in coloration and the other darker blue. Please let me know your opinions. The darker chick has a darker comb and more color/lacing. Thanks in advance!

Light chick #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darker chick #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RoosterRiot

RoosterRiot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    With the BLRW chicks I have raised the dark ones tend to be male and the light tend to be female.

3. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    I don't have early pics showing the lighter/darker contrast as chicks but here are some pics of them a little older.

Pullet up front. Cockerel behind.
    [​IMG]

Cockerel on left.
    [​IMG]

4. JensMaverick

Jun 14, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling he is a roo. Of course I was hoping for a pullet. Do blue laced red Wyandotte roosters tend to be calm or docile in your experience?

5. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    We kept 1 out of the 3 that ended up being Roos. He is very calm but doesn't like being held (like most Roos). No issues of aggression with people or the hens.

6. JensMaverick

Jun 14, 2015
    Well let's hope this little guy is like that. He is looking so beautiful already. But I have kids and they help with the chicken chores so I don't need a mean roo.

7. JensMaverick

Jun 14, 2015
    Ok 6 weeks old now. What do you guys think? Both birds aren't too crazy about being held...seem a bit flightly.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Blue is definitely a cockerel. The Splash is starting to look more like a cockerel, but not sure yet.

9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    In the 4/10 pic the darker one looks Cockerel to me...Your recent post, the one in the back Cockerel & the front Pullet but a closer head on pic of the combs would help.

10. JensMaverick

Jun 14, 2015
    Ok so here are some more pictures. Let me know if you need better ones. Thanks again for all the help. Such a pretty bird I would love to keep it. I do have a buyer for it if it is a cockerel. But they want one soon so I really have to make a decision now if I want to sell. On side note, what would a bird like this go for?

Thanks again

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by