1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Gender Input

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blue, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I posted these in the Wyandotte threads, but more opinions are always better. [​IMG] These 3 BLRWs are 6 weeks old, and I'm pretty sure 1 is a cockerel. The other 2 I'm unsure of, so opinions? I have no experience with this breed, and I'm finding them much harder to sex than single combed birds. [​IMG]

I'm thinking this one is a cockerel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one I have no idea. The comb is pretty red but isn't nearly as puffy as the first one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No idea on this one either. Same deal as the last one: the comb is red but still pretty flat and not puffy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I think your right cockerel hen hen.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:x2

4. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    x3 I also have the BLR Wyandottes and they ARE hard to sex. They are beautiful birds though. I love your roo .

5. Blue

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    riane'smimi :

x3 I also have the BLR Wyandottes and they ARE hard to sex. They are beautiful birds though. I love your roo .

Thanks! I really like him, too. I thought he was going to be black laced red at first, but then a lot of the black started turning blue, so now I'm thinking he's going to be a very dark blue. I really am hoping the other 2 are hens since I only have the 3. It would be nice to have a trio.​

6. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    I go more on the body shape on the Wyandottes also and not just the comb. I have I think 8 .They are at the age now that the roosters really look silly with their long skinny legs.I have 3 roosters and the rest pullets.I can not wait until they are old enough to star hatching their eggs [​IMG]

7. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    i would say roo, hen, hen. but is the roo a BLRW? or a gold laced?

8. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:I agree boy, girl, girl. Those are BLR. He's going to be a nice deep blue.

9. Blue

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm glad the consensus is backing up what I was thinking and hoping. [​IMG] I like both the light and dark blues, and I'm hoping to get some pretty chicks from them at some point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by