Blue Laced Red Wyandotte gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ilovemyduckies, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I've got three Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks. They are 5-6 weeks old and are already showing some red in their combs and wattles. I am worried that I might have ended up with three roosters. What do you think?

Chick #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3 This chick significantly smaller than the other two, and doesn't have a red comb like the other two but still has some pretty red wattles. Also, it has a single comb, why is that?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    A couple more weeks would give better guesses but I would say #1 cockerel and #2 & #3 pullet. The straight comb does pop up from time to time, some breeders will use a single comb breeder for exact reasons I can't remember, sorry.

3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Top 3 I'd go with roosters. The single comb is a pullet. Some hatcheries use a single comb bird to breed in the line to help improve fertility. Most breeders cull those or just use them for eggs.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Got some updated pics. Does #3 still look like pullet? I'm kinda worried I ended up with all roosters.

Chick #1
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by