1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue laced red Wyandotte ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thefeatheredone, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Thefeatheredone

Thefeatheredone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    These where sold to me as blue laced red Wyandottes by a reputable breeder but I'm having my doubts. What are y'alls thoughts? They're a week old today. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, this is going to surprise some people, but is it possible that you have Appenzeller Spitzhaubens? [​IMG] Here's Cassie and her sister, my own Spitzes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

3. Thefeatheredone

Feb 9, 2016
    It's possible I guess. I thought maybe silver laced Wyandottes.

4. Alexandra33

I've had both BLRW and SLW, and I'm 100% sure you don't have Wyandottes. [​IMG] Wyandottes, for one, usually have darker down (with the exception of Splash Laced) and an overall less delicate look than your babies. Also, take a close look at their combs, if they're Spitzhaubens, they will have two tiny "pimples" near the base of the fluff on the head (like where the beak area transitions to down).

~Alex

5. Thefeatheredone

Feb 9, 2016
    Oh ok.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think you've got Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I'm seeing a rose comb in photo of one chick (inverted horseshoe with luck running down the beak) and you've got bluing indicated...I don't see the tufting on the head nor appropriate coloring for Spitzhaubens.

Wait it out....BLRW have a lot of color variation and the feathers are transitory stage.

I'll post photos from the Feathersite so that you can see what I mean.

My thoughts.

LofMc

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html (scroll down to chicks, in particular the BLRW)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  7. Thefeatheredone

Feb 9, 2016
    I hope your right. I don't see the tufting on the head either but I'm relatively new to this. I'll keep y'all posted in the weeks to come

8. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    I'm sorry. They are not blue laced red Wyandotte chicks. I would contact the breeder and see what other kinds of chickens they have.

9. Alexandra33

I also noticed that your babies don't have yellow legs, which are usually characteristic of Wyandottes. My Spitzhaubens didn't have any tufting at that age, either (but then again, neither do Cream Legbars), but what's really making me suspect your little ones is the slate/blue legs, fluff towards the back of the head, and high ceres. I could be completely wrong, of course! [​IMG] What will really help us determine is what breeds your breeder carries.

~Alex

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  10. Thefeatheredone

Feb 9, 2016
    Ok after doing more research I believe I may have the German chicken. yeah I've never seen a red Wyandotte with green legs come to think of it. I may contact the person I bought them from just to let then know. But it's probably not worth me driving an hour each way to switch them out. Anyways my aunt will trade them out with me when they get a little older so no big deal. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by