Blue laced red wyandotte

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Alex Broussard, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Alex Broussard

Alex Broussard Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    So I am interested in adding blue laced red wyandotte to my flock, and i want to be able to breed them and raise baby chicks but i have seen that when you breed two BLRW together you get different offspring. Does this go with all flocks or can you buy a flock from someone that has a developed gene pattern so that all the offspring will be the same? thank you

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    BLRW are subject to blue, black, splash breeding results....
    A blrw x blrw breeding will yield50% blrw, 25% splash laced, 25% black laced red.
    Blue laced x black laced = 50/50 each
    Blue laced x splash laced = 50/50% blue laced and splash laced
    Splash laced xblack laced = 100% blue laced

Cyprus and ColtHandorf like this.
  3. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA
    Hello,

I have just started my hand with chicks altogether however I purchased some blrw chicks from a breeder. My goal is to eventually be able to breed them myself. There’s a lot to consider with the blrw. The blue x blue is going to give you blue, splash and black. You can do black x splash and you’ll get 100% blue but your blue will be diluted. There are charts out there that help explain it.

Attached Files:

RebekahRedinger and ColtHandorf like this.
  4. Alex Broussard

Alex Broussard Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    What does it mean by my blue will be diluted? Thank you!

5. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA
    From what I understand it will be a paler shade of blue. But again I’m new at this so I could be interpreting the information incorrectly.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Blue varieties are all the same in that they carry all three colors. Blue, Black, and Splash. There is no way to develop them to breed true blue all the time. That would be Lavender (self blue) not Blue. Lavender is basically grey. The blue color in Blue varieties can vary dramatically. From the grey Lavender like color all the way to near black. There is a standard to follow for proper color.

RebekahRedinger and Ol Grey Mare like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: