Blue laced red Wyandotte's are sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rafter B, Dec 29, 2014.

1. rafter B

rafter B Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2014
    Avon South Dakota
    Our flock is sick! Some are getting so run down with our cold temps they are dying! They are wormed regularly and we have been putting Terramycin in there water. It appears they have diarrhea and it's been going on for about a week and it's only getting worse![​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Don't take this the wrong way. Do they have some sort of respiratory disease? If not stop using that! Almost no one uses that anymore especially for laying hens. The egg withdraw time is unknown and has been found to be present in the egg. Electrolytes, polyvisol w/o iron in their water or VetRx ( My personal favorite), higher protein rations a little cracked corn near evening to heat them up. I'm just throwing out alternative ideas not knowing what prompted the antibiotic use. Tell us more so we can help you better. :)

3. rafter B

Dec 28, 2014
    Avon South Dakota
    My daughter takes care of them and she does a great job. But she said that they were coughing and so she started treating them for respiratory. She had her wisdom teeth cut out today so I did her chores and yes she has a problem. For some reason she has them on a cracked corn feed with laying crumbles also put a pan of diatomaceous earth in with them also. I bought her scratch feed and boss and also a block to peck but she's a teenager so she doesn't like it when I intervene. But I need to get them back on track so thanks for the help!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Terramycin is oxytetracycline, and it is commonly used for treatment of respiratory diseases. Tylan is another one that is commonly used. I would recommend that your daughter's chickens be fed primarily a layer feed that makes up 90% of their diet. Scratch or similar should only be 10% or less. Probiotics and vitamins 2 or3 times per week would be helpful in promoting immunity. I would make sure there is plenty of good overhead ventilation in the coop without direct drafts on the chickens. Keep ammonia odors, dust, and wet or moldy conditions to a minimum. Most respiratory diseases can be chronic, and may recur with stress or cold weather. DE can cause breathing problems in some cases, so I would get it out of there for now.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  5. rafter B

Dec 28, 2014
    Avon South Dakota
    Thanks a lot! I'm 40 yrs old and raised chickens my whole life and I have never had our chickens look like this! So I'm a bit embarrassed about them but I halfto get them healthy hate seeing them this way. So thanks for all your help! Do I use medicated laying crumbles?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They look like they have coccidiosis. Op also mentioned that the chickens have diarrhea. They need Corid in their water ASAP.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That was my thought also. Corid, or Sulmet if you can't find it, should be given ASAP.

8. rafter B

Dec 28, 2014
    Avon South Dakota
    Our hatch this year was amazing, the most percent hatch we've ever had and very strong healthy chicks until they hit about 2 months old they really started to slow down. They just didn't look healthy and now they have this happening. So thanks for the info!

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You said they were coughing, and a respiratory disease can also cause diarrhea. If you feel that they also have coccidiosis, and that is possible, giving them Corid in their water will not hurt them. But since they are on Terramycin, I would chose one medicine or the other, since they need to drink enough of the water to get treatment. Cocci can kill pretty fast, so if you suspect it, I would use the Corid.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. rafter B

Dec 28, 2014
    Avon South Dakota
    To keep you updated: they are doing much better, there diarrhea has stopped and they all have there appetite back and looking well! I put baking soda and electrolytes in warm water for them. Took most of the corn out of the ration and feed them layer and grower crumbles . And our temps have been below zero and seems like it's going to stay that way for awhile!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by