Blue Laced Red Wyandottes - Boys or Girls? *pic heavy*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kari_dawn, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    So, I ordered two of these from a hatchery (not wanting them to turn out so different in my mind that I would be disappointed if a large number of them arrived, and none of them were as pretty as I wanted). I was worried that both of my girls would turn out to be roos because their combs went pink at a very early age, but as it turns out, they both seem to be pullets. I was so pleased with how the coloration of my older girls turned out (I am sure you breeders have far better colored birds than my hatchery specials!), that I ordered three more.

Here are my two older girls:

Jasmine: blue laced

[​IMG]

Candi: splash

[​IMG]

Well, my three new BLRW all have pink combs now too. They are 3-4 weeks old.

Bird #1: black laced, blue genes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird #2: splash?...ROO?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird #3: blue laced?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    2 definitely a cockerel, and I'm leaning that way for 3 as well. I say 1 is a pullet.

Jasmine and Candi are so pretty! [​IMG]

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yeah, I am leaning that way on number three as well...its looking like I may be contacting the hatchery, I now have 4 suspected roos out of 14 birds, and I am thinking I need to look at the others more closely as well. I got very lucky last time, and did not get a single roo.

More input would be appreciated!

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Thank you! I think they are gorgeous for hatchery birds [​IMG]

5. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    They are gorgeous!! What hatchery did you get them from?

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    My Pet Chicken. They ship small orders, and cater to small backyard flocks. All of the birds I have right now are from them, and all of them are very pretty (in my biased oppinion!). Honestly, that is what sold me on them over any other hatchery, and I have been happy with my birds so far.

I have wanted this breed since I knew they exhisted, and looked lots of places for them. I saw some BLRW on craigslist that were nowhere NEAR as pretty (conformationally or color wise) as my hatchery girls. They were so ugly that I decided to take my chances with a hatchery, expecting the same ugly birds as what were available locally, and was very pleasantly suprised when my girls turned out like this. [​IMG]

I just HAD to have more...so, I ordered three more (among others). Chicken math strikes again. Dang BLRW...just like potato chips...you can't just have one...er, two, I mean FIVE! *sigh* I probably won't be able to keep the rooster. Happy neighbors are good neighbors, and I live in suburbia. I just hope that the last chick is still a girl...Jazzy and Candi looked like that at this age too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    You breeders out there, can you tell me if BLRW chicks get color to their combs at an earlier age than other breeds? Both of my big girls had pink combs VERY early. I feared they were both boys for a little while, but the red comb was the only indication, no big thick legs or rooish behavior, so I held on to them, and I am relieved that they turned out to be girls (beautiful ones, I might add!). Now, my three new BLRW are around 4 weeks old, and all three have pink combs. Someone else in this section also has BLRW and both of her birds also have very pink/red combs.

Could it be this particular line of birds? All my birds of other breeds have no color to their combs yet, and they are all the same age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by