Blue Laced Red Wyandottes with surprise ingredient

pocketposies

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
I have some 5 week old BLR Wyandottes that are throwing me for a loop on their sexing! 2 of them appear to have a single comb instead of the rose comb. I only know how to tell difference sex in combs when they are actually the same type of comb. sigh. Are there other ways to tell this young?
I have a sinking feeling I am looking at a lot of Roos here.

Can anyone give some expert opinion on these?

Zipper
IMG_1181.jpg

Freckles
IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

Pico
IMG_1191.jpg

Peanut (a nice Splash?)
IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Thanks!

That would be great! I wondered though because of the waddles that are showing already? and don't those single combs throw you off? What UP with those?

Can someone explain to me also the saddle feathering thing? I heard that helps determine boy status as they're feathering out. I am not sure what to look for there.

Ah. so HeRE's the question... what exactly is a rose comb supposed to look like on a pullet verses a cockerel? That is what I have no idea about.

I am not geneticist, but I have read where the BLR wyandottes will throw a single comb. Normally a wider comb at the base of the beak will yield a male bird and the narrower flat comb a female.
I think that the last 2 pics are a pullet and the others males.

There is a BLR wyandotte thread under breeds, genetics that may yield more info for your benefit.

May your yard be blessed with birds.
lol.png

Thanks. I didn't know that about the single combs. I don't mind at all that they have a single comb. Makes them look more like my Orpingtons.
I don't know why it is so hard to be patient and just see what they turn into over a couple months! I was just getting worried that I wasn't going to end up with any hens out of the bunch. They are all really sweet birds.

Wyandottes are slow maturing so they may change more to throw you off again. I would say you will have a better idea between 8 to 10 weeks old. Boys will redden up whereas girls tend to stay pale in the combs n wattles. Also, male rosecombs will appear wider than the females. Males also generally develope thicker leggs.

That is so good to know!
I figured I need to be more patient. But legs are already looking pretty thick, except on the Splash. I really was thrown by the weird single comb thing showing up. But now it's making sense.

I can't remember if I asked this, but if I keep a Roo and breed it to the BLR hens, will I end up with true BLR?

The single combs are undesirable for Wyandotte breed. I would not use any with the single comb in breeding.
Wyandottes should have rosecomb.

Check out the Wyandotte forum and also the breed club site for required standards.

Back
Top Bottom