1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Laced Red Wyandottes X Gold Laced Wyandottes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Thomas Morgan, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Thomas Morgan

Thomas Morgan New Egg

Feb 24, 2016
    I want to breed both BLRW's and the GLW's
    I want to raise the BLRW's and the GLW's. Will breeding them together mess up the coloring?
    your will they need to be separated

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I haven't raised Wyandottes yet but my guess is if you mix the different colored Wyandottes, the offspring would most likely not be colored the same as the parents. If you want the offspring to maintain the same colors, you'd have to keep them separate. Maybe another greeter with breeding experience will jump in here and clarify.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I too have not raised Wyandottes and colour genetics are really not my strong point at a the best of times! There are many Wyandotte threads and I'm sure if you type that into the search box above they will come up.

Wishing you the very best of luck in your search for answers. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would think breeding the two colors together could cause a lot of mismarked birds that wouldn't fit the standard of perfection. But if you just want to play around for your own flock, that's up to you.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run. Good luck with your search.

8. rosaroca

rosaroca Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2015
    It's my understanding that breeding BLRW to GLW will produce some gold laced and some blue laced golds. You will lose a lot of the "red" that makes the BLRW so distinctive. And that deep red coloring is very difficult to get back once you lose it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by