Blue Laced Red Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by deineria, Jan 23, 2011.

1. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I know almost nothing about markings. . . are all of my BLRWs Splash ? Except for the white Silkie, of course. . . lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Yes. See the dark-grey chunks of color in the cockerels' tails? That's the surest way to absolutely see that it's splash and not just light blue. The darker color on your pullets' heads is also very characteristic of a young splash.

3. deineria

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Thanks. I thought so. Two have very dark blue feathers underneath, but I still figured all were splash.
    I'm thinking of driving out to Ky, 3.5 hour drive, for some day old chicks from this breeder:
    http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/bluelacedredwyandotte.htm

To get some seriously beautiful birds.

BTW: How many appear to be roos verses pullets? I was thinking 5 pullets and 3 cockerels

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:You should check out the Wyandotte thread [​IMG] We have Foley birds and love them...it's worth the drive!

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    There's one lying down at the back that might be a blue. You can just see his tail feathers & a bit of back.

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    from what i see you have 2 cockerls

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG] Where are you located? My stock came straight from Foley's he's way too close to me.Way too close [​IMG] My aviator was one of his Roos we bought last fall.Unfortunately as huge hawk ate him for dinner but I had another one of Jerry's in a back pen not quite as nice but close.He sells started pairs as well which have made it though several culls at his place already if your close enough to pick them up..the shipping on them would be crazy they are so big.
    That one in the back could be a blue

8. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    The birds are beautiful! I am getting some BLR's and I was wondering if someone could explain what "splash" actually means I have heard this term and is it something negative? Does it apply to certain breeds or is it just a color? I have heard it frequently with the BLR's. Thanks!

9. deineria

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I am talking with Rebecca at Foley's about buying day old chicks. I just do not have room for many, and I am not sure about buying the quantity shipping would require. I am 3.5 hours from them, but I am out in Lexington fairly often, so it is just another
    1.5 hours from there.

Splash is just a color, as far as I know, but it seems the Blue is more desirable, and I actually find the splash to be the prettier, but I want SOME BLUE.

I hope I just have the two cockerels.

10. deineria

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    [​IMG]
    This is the one as a chick I had thought might a blue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by