Blue Laced Red Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kari_dawn, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    The first time I saw these birds, I became obsessed with them, and HAD to have one. Fearing hatchery stock would turn out terrible, I searched high and low for a breeder within reasonable distance (I like to see where my birds are coming from, especially when I may be integrating them into an existing flock), but I had absolutely NO luck. SO, I checked craigslist. On rare occasion, there are some available, but usually the splash or black birds, and the quality is abhorant, even to my untrained eye. So, finally I got brave, and ordered from a hatchery...just two. Just in case I ended up with a couple of those horrid monsters for sale on craigslist (they had to be getting them from somewhere, right?).

Well, as it turns out, my BEAUTIFUL (in my oppinion) Candi and Jasmine are just wonderful. They are pretty, recognisable as wyandottes, and have fabulous coloring (mind you, I feel they are fabulous for hatchery birds). So, I ordered three more from the same place (two of which I fear are roos, and the third is black/red). Now, I would like to know what a good quality BLRW looks like. Do you have some? I would LOVE to see some pictures. From what I understand BLRW are not able to be entered in shows yet.

What makes a wyandotte show quality?

And of course, for your viewing pleasure, Candi and Jasmine in all their hatchery bird glory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    They are beautiful!! I love the blue laced red wyandottes and always wanted to get some but never did [​IMG] maybe one day...

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    try www.foleyswaterfowl.com

That's where I bought my stock from. You can get on their list for chicks next spring. They are also known as Turbo and Mrs. Turbo here on byc.

Now, I don't allow people to come to my place. It's nothing personal, it's a biosecurity issue. I will take it very personally if I have to destroy my flock due to coryza from someone with dirty shoes.... [​IMG]

edited to add: try www.wyandottebreedersofamerica.net for a description of the standard of perfection. It describes what makes a bird show quality

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    You should also note that that they can be entered in any show where LF are allowed, they can only compete for Best of variety since they are not recogized yet. This is true for any new variety of bird they are simply shown and do not compete beyond the variety.
    You will not see many as most breeders prefer they are closer to the standard before begining to show the birds.

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just got 4 of these chicks from my friend! They are beautiful birds! [​IMG]

If your looking for more she has plenty for sale! Cheap prices to! PM if interested! [​IMG]

Here are my chicks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope mine looks like yours! I have one that looks like it has darker feathers than the rest! But Im hoping none of them are roos..... [​IMG]

6. GoldenPuppy

GoldenPuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    PA
    Here are some of my BLRs. They are around 6 months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Wow! I wish that some of mine would turn out that richly colored! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Which hatchery did you order those from? They are pretty. [​IMG] I have them in bantam...wish I had room for the LF....maybe one day! [​IMG]

9. H2Momma

H2Momma Out Of The Brooder

In seeing your BLRW's, here's a fairly recent pic of mine ~ Kentucky. Would you call her a true blue laced red or maybe a splash? The pic of your red laced blue is definitely blue!! Thanks! PS. She seems to be getting lighter with age, she's approx. 4.5 months old here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I got them from my pet chicken...I have been happy with them. They are not laying yet, but man do they look pretty in the yard

[​IMG]

Candi, the lighter one, does appear to be a splash. Her feathering by her hocks is a very light blue, and there are some flecks of blue throughout her feathers. I know that it is sometimes really hard to tell a splash from a really light blue, but I would say she is a splash.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by