Blue laced red Wyandottes...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by howfunkyisurchicken, May 31, 2012.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How in the world do I tell gender on these things?!?! One of them looks like a cockerel, but the others look the same to me. I understand if they're too young to sex, they're 5-6 weeks old now and I'm hoping someone can spot something to tell one way or another :) I have 5 of them. Pictures!
    A group shot of a few of them
    [​IMG]
    I have a feeling #1 is a boy, it has a raised comb. Not really any wattles though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #4 is my favorite, it sits in my hand and falls asleep. Its also the smallest
    [​IMG]
    #5 I'm pretty sure is a boy. The others are all relatively friendly, but this one avoids me at all costs. Plus there's the comb and wattles
    [​IMG]
    I've never had any kind of Wyandotte before, so I'd appreciate any insight you guys could offer!

2. texas75563

texas75563 Songster

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    I don't have a clue. I would say #5 is a roo. That is only 1 I see the wattles on.

On link below, Stumpfarmer talks about lacing patterns of their backs. Has a picture of 2 pullets and 2 roos at 12 weeks. Then chickee talks about their combs and wattles and has a picture of a pullet and roo about 12 weeks old.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/466415/blue-laced-red-wyandotte-thread/210

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I would say that #5 is the only cockerel, good luck with them [​IMG]

4. Twoodz

Twoodz Chirping

Mar 17, 2011
    They are all beautiful!!!! I would have to say 5 is a Roo.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Thanks everyone! I was pretty sure #5 is a boy, but #1 just keeps me guessing. That link was great, I'm not sure why I didn't think to check the breed thread! I don't see any of the "shawling" they were talking about on any of the splash or the black laced red, and it'd be awesome if I ended up with 4 pullets and one cockerel!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: