Blue Laced Red Wyndottes ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BlackBart, Apr 25, 2009.

1. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Does anybody have any BLR Wyndottes?
    I was wondering about their personality and egg laying. I have a coop full of different breeds and don't want any body fighting. [​IMG]

I am thinking of getting some un sexed chicks and was wondering if there is a way to tell the Hens from the Roosters when they are a week or so old.

I think they are a beautiful chicken.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ours are very calm and pretty decent egg layers. I cant tell a pullet from a roo, at a week old. Someone else might be able to though.

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some- 8 weeks old tomorrow!- and of my 29, only my black jersey giants are as sweet and lovable. They are, overall, my favorite type of all the ones I ordered and I wish I had gotten more (or ordered pullets instead of a straight run.... how I want to keep them ALL, regardless of gender, you have no idea).
    I don't have any adults yet, but so far, I love them!

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I have BLRW and mine are sweeties. My giant BLRW roo is very gentle with people and hens. He has another roo in the pen with him and the hens. He doesn't let the other roo mate with the hens, but he doesn't "fight" the other roo. He just runs and knocks him off and chases him away. The other roo is a huge blue Orp and he's pretty sweet too.
    ~Rebecca

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Thank you the replies, they sound just what I am looking for, sociable and beautiful to boot!
    I agree my Black Jersey Giant Rooster, Black Bart was one of the sweetest gentle giants.......RIP Bart

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    You'll love them. I have some that are just as friendly as they come, and some that are stand offish, but they're all very well mannered. I've had a few roos that really like the girls a little too much, but never an overly aggressive one. They also lay like crazy.

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I have mostly dotties, they are my favorite next to the favorelles. laid back but able to hustle for supper.

8. dajen

dajen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Newnan, Ga
    My Coop
    I am new to chickens. Just found out that the Cochins I have are not of a recognized color. So now I'm going to ask this... Is my blue laced red Wyandotte a recognized color ?

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    No, they are not. The variety, Blue Laced Red, is recognized in Cornish Bantams.

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Like NYREDS said, blue laced red is not a recognized variety in wyandottes. But there are enough dedicated breeders working on the variety that it is only a matter of time before they become recognized. Until then, if you are interested in showing your birds, you can show the BLRW in the "any other variety" category. They can't win best of breed, best of class, or best of show but they can win best of variety and it's a good way to get them out there and increase interest in the variety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by