Blue Laced Silver Wyandotte or Orpington?

CloggingChicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Hendersonville, NC
Just thought that I'd post an idea that has been sitting in the back of my mind. I haven't seen anyone post the color combination and was thinking that might be a starting point for my flock. I have some very nice Blue Orps and a few Wyandottes in the mix. If we were to cross the SLW and Blue Orp Hen or a Blue Roo and SLW hen then what would the offspring look like? From what I have seen the rose comb should be dominant and would show up on the offspring. Any idea if there is a craving for Blue Laced Silver birds versus the upcoming BLRW? Just trying to get a feeling before possibly undertaking a project and building out more runs/housing.

Thanks for any input.
Bill

hmmmmm i wonder
pop.gif

I don't remember exactly how it's done, but I think this is close....if you cross a SLW roo with a splash laced red wyandotte hen the result will be a blue laced silver. Then if you cross the pullets from them back to a SLW roo you'll have violet laced. Hopefully one of the genetics wizards will come along and either comfirm or tell me how off base I am!!
smile.png
Since I've got a couple of very nice extra SLW roos and plenty of BLRW hens I'm hoping to put some together in a pen this summer.

If you stick with only one the wyandottes, you won't have to worry about comb differences or different skin colors.

I plan to cross my Splash laced red roo with my SL hens and make Sexlinks that would be BLR pullets and Blue laced silver roos, but they would probably have a yellowish tint over the silver.

IF your Blue Orps and SLWs were to cross, you would probably get solid Blue and Black birds that may have some white or messy indication of lacing, but you should be able to get it in a few generations.

Quote:
Violet laced? I've never heard of that I bet that is beautiful.

I'm pretty sure Violet laced is the same color as the Blue Silver laced that we are talking about, go to the Feathersite Wyandotte page and their is a Violet lavced hen there.

Quote:
Violet laced? I've never heard of that I bet that is beautiful.

I'm pretty sure Violet laced is the same color as the Blue Silver laced that we are talking about, go to the Feathersite Wyandotte page and their is a Violet lavced hen there.

Thanks Rareroo for the site-I was right it is a gorgeous color!

The violet lace picture is more or less the color that I was thinking of. Maybe the color is off in the picture, but it looks like blue lacing with the silver. Seeing Grant Brereton in the caption makes me believe that they are UK only birds.
I thought that white skin was dominant over the yellow, and the rose comb was over the single, but am just getting into the idea of genetics with the birds. Either way it seems that it would take the second generation to start towards one or the other type.
I have just found the Orpington side somewhat less stand offish than the wyandotte, which was why I was thinking of going back towards the orps. The orps will almost fight to get into your lap and the wyandottes are only ready to jump there if you have a treat. I don't know what the difference is as they were both handled from hatch.

Thank you for the picture reference it does help to get an idea of what might eventually emerge.

Bill

You're Welcome for the info and yes it would take atleast a second generation and probably more to get what you are wanting, and it would be eaiser to work back towards Wyandottes so you can keep breeding back to a pure laced bird. Good Luck and please keep us updated if you decide to do this project.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom