Blue laced Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Stan8402, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Stan8402

Stan8402 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Virginia
    Whenever you hatch BLRW's the out come is a mix between blue/splash/black laced chicks. Right? Ok now I have a mixture of colors...... So ? I need to Cull what colors to keep getting blues or splash colors. There all beautiful but I'm trying to stay with just the blue and splash colors.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Well if you want to breed them, you'll want black and splash, because that will give you 100% blues. But if all you want for personal happiness is blue and splash, then keep those and sell the blacks.

3. Stan8402

Stan8402 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Virginia
    Yes I'm wanting to breed them to keep and maybe sell.... I have a black rooster ,blue rooster and 2 nice splash roosters . Several nice hens. All different. Black, blue, splash. I just wasn't sure about what to keep and cull

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Okay, so like I said you can do black x splash to get 100% blues or you can get rid of your blacks and do blue x splash which will give you 50% blue and 50% splash. I personally like the look of the splash as the colors contrast/complement each other better. Make sure when you are deciding who to get rid of you also look at the quality of the lacing as well as the overall look of the bird. If they are just for backyard pets you don't have to be too picky, but if you want to work toward show quality or at least "better than decent" then I recommend you see if there is a thread, or a facebook group, dedicated to them, and check out the SOP on the Wyandotte website.

5. Victoria p

Victoria p New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Hello im new here. Does anyone have any suggestions as to were i can sell my baby chicks.i have way too many

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    BTW I understand your preference. I don't have Wyandottes but instead I have Marans and I only breed blue and splash because I prefer their looks, plus I am one of the only one breeding them in my area whereas blacks are easier to get.

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I usually post mine on craigslist and facebook. You can also see if there are any poultry swaps or auctions near you.

8. Victoria p

Victoria p New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Thank you

9. Stan8402

Stan8402 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Virginia

10. Stan8402

Stan8402 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Virginia
    My favorite are the splash and the blue . So I'll possibly have several black hens and one rooster for sale. Thanks for the information. I had some what of an understanding about the colors but second guess myself sometimes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by