1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Maran 14 weeks Boy or Girl game PHOTOS!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emilyfrancis, Mar 8, 2011.

1. emilyfrancis

emilyfrancis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Hello all,
    My two new Blue Maran chicks are adorable and awesome and one may be a boy. Unfortunately, I'm in town and I need to figure this out before s(he) crows and angers my grumpy neighbor. They live with three other hens who are about 5 weeks older and the older pullets are dominate over s(he) most of the time. I don't see many of the usual indicators of maleness except the sickle tail feathers, which seem more prominent every day. Most photos of chicks this age seem much more rooster-y by now. Let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. emilyfrancis

Feb 26, 2008
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Look on the blue ribbon and click "Uploads". You have to download pics to BYC before you can post them.

4. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    You can email it to me, and I can try and post it for you.

5. emilyfrancis

Feb 26, 2008
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    thanks!
    i finally got it to comply.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You have a pullet. Did you get my PM?

7. emilyfrancis

Feb 26, 2008
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    For reference, I'm posting a picture of his/her sister who is very similar in size and has nearly identical comb size and coloration.
    [​IMG]

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I don't know if it thier stance or roach back... You might want to look that up... It is too young to make a guess for me... as I am way to frequently mistaken... Hunch I would go first one male... sickly hock and thick legs... my opinion means very little though!!!! [​IMG]

9. emilyfrancis

Feb 26, 2008
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    roach back? I thought that was a horse thing. What does that mean for chickens? Does it indicate gender, health, or is it just aesthetic?

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My blue copper marans pullet's comb is larger than yours and mine is younger. I vote pullet. (But this is my first experience with marans and so I am not 100% sure.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by