Blue Millie Fleur cochin project

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DAFNVA, Oct 28, 2011.

1. DAFNVA

DAFNVA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Franklin VA
    My Coop
    Just wondering if anyone out there has one started and/or is breeding the color currently ? and if so would you mind putting a picture up or two, three...... I get the idea of the hen in color, but not so sure what the roo would look like. I have a roo, looks mottled but has the light appearance of the mohagony comming through( looks chocolate in color almost)

[​IMG]

2. DAFNVA

DAFNVA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Franklin VA
    My Coop
    Another pic of him and a pullet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Blue mille fleur is certainly possible with black or blue in your flock. Is your roo a blue mottled split to mille? He seems to be very light blue. Though leakage is possible& common even in pure mottleds. "Splits" generally look like the mottled parent but tend toward leakage, especially in the hackle. Here's a couple recently hatched chicks, one pure blue mottled at bottom left and then a blue mottled split at upper right. Notice the greater yellow fluff on the pure chick and less blue fluff. Splits as chicks have less "tuxedo" than pure mottleds. Though a split may look real similar to a pure black cochin chick. Knowing the makeup of your flock, who's laying and roosters in the pen can help determine what chicks came from what mating.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by