Blue or Black Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tiffanyh, Sep 30, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi all,
    Well I have already checked with the top expert on this (speckled hen) and got her vote, but I wanted to check to see with any other Blue/Black Orpington people to see if this hen would be considered black or blue--if blue, I know she is quite dark. She is 13 weeks old or so. Her head is dark and her feather lighten up as you head down. She has a velvet-y sheen to her, although I guess that could change as she molts.

The only reason I actually care enough to check is because we have a large argicultural fair every year in my home town and next year she asked that I enter her!! I think she is quite the looker, but I need to know what to write on her entry card!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even included a bum shot for you!!! Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Heres a couple more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again guys....

3. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Looks blue to me.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tiff, I found this picture of Velvet at 12 weeks old. I know there are all shades of blue, though, and yours is just like my cockerel that everyone had such a hard time deciding about his color:
    [​IMG]

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Im no expert yet lol. I think she looks blue!

6. jab91864

jab91864 Songster

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Looks blue to me too !!

When I see black I expect it to be shiny dark dark black with maybe a greenish overlay....lol, you can tell I have austrolorps.

I have a blue orp , a blue cochin and blrw.... you can't go wrong with blue........ [​IMG]

Julie

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmmm. I want to say blue too. But what do I know about blues? Not much.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    How about a black laced blue orpington?

That would be a new variation, would it not? [​IMG]

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I would say blue. Black would have a green sheen to it, like Julie already said. She's pretty [​IMG]

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Black Laced Blue seems really appropriate! She has got me guessing! And she is huge. Bigger than my brahma mix that hatched a week prior! Have you guys had that experience with your orps?

Thank you Cynthia for sending the standards link. I have been looking for something like that on the internet with little luck. I added it to my favorites!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by