Blue or Lavender Orpington? What are these markings?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Criskin, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

This hen hatched out of a batch of lavender Orpington eggs I ordered. At first I though she was just speckled with dark mud since part of the run had gotten wet but as she grows older I can tell that her feathers are interspersed with black flecks. They aren't very thick or very regular, however. Would this pattern be called mottled or is there another name? She's also fairly dark...would she be considered blue instead of lavender? The pictures don't quite show how dark the speckles are, but I've taken some:

Center:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the left. You can see the markings I'm talking about on her neck/breast:
    [​IMG]
    In the back:
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its really hard to tell. with blue's you have the blue coloring with lacing on all the feathers, lavender (self blue) coloring is the same shade all over. splash and moltted i would suspect there to be more white or black spots. sorry might not be much help but it also gives you a bump up....

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Looks blue to me.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

she looks lke her color got stuck between blue and splash lol. what ever color she is shes very pretty

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I ordered some Lavender eggs and got the same thing + yellow and black chicks. I culled the whole lot.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    depending on were the parents came from they could still be working on their blue strain. i'm looking for self blue d'uccles and if i cant find any i'm going to order some blacks and mottled blacks and do some back breeding, which means there will be black and mottled genes in their background for some time though which could be the case here. wouldnt cull them unless your using them for breeding even then you could still correct this. i am in the process of making 4 different pens. 1 for my mille, 1 for my porcelian, 1 for the self blue, and one for the ones i dont want to use in the breeding but want the eggs and there will be a few roos in there but for now i dont have to have those pens done till next summer.

7. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    ITs blue because its two toned blue.

8. Criskin

Thanks for the input everyone! It kind of irritates me that out of two batches of Lavender Orp eggs from two different sources, I only have one truly Lavender Hen:
    [​IMG]

On the bright side, I only hatched one roo out of all of those eggs! I don't plan on breeding any time soon, if ever, and even then I wouldn't sell any of the offspring. I still wish I knew what that pattern, or lack thereof, is though!

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:She does not appear have any kind of a pattern in here. It is not unusual for blue birds to have some black in the feathers. The feather edging is due to the extended black gene- this is common blue females.

Lavender birds will have a white feather shaft facing out with a dark feather shaft facing in ( check the wings and tail feathers).

Blue birds will have a dark feather shaft facing out and a dark feather shaft facing in( check the wings and tail feathers) .

10. Criskin

Quote:Great tip! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by