1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue orp baby question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by COgirl, Jul 12, 2007.

1. COgirl

COgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Falcon Colorado
    Hi I'm pretty new here. I have 4 baby blue orps that are about 13 days old, they seem to be very skittish compared to the 27 rainbow layers(at the same age) that are about 3 weeks ahead of them. I started bringing them out into the living room in a padded laundry basket and holding each one for several minutes, will this help or do they just need to get a little older?

2. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    Holding them will definitely(sp?) help to tame them if you can do it every day, but I would also give them some time.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have been raising Blue Orpingtons and have found that they are indeed rather skittish in the beginning. Continue to hold them regularly and you'll see results in a few weeks. My 23 week old Blue Orpington cockerel, Suede, follows me around like a gigantic feathered blue puppy, LOL.

4. COgirl

Jun 6, 2007
    Falcon Colorado
    Thankyou for the replies it's kinda what I thought but it always makes you feel better when someone with experience, lets you know you are on the right track. Just another good reason to hold the babies:)

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's funny, but my tamest birds are the ones I literally put in a bag and carried around with me for their first few weeks of life. It was break time so I could give them attention for about 6 hours a day for 15 days or so.

6. COgirl

Jun 6, 2007
    Falcon Colorado
    That is a neat idea. Maybe I'll try to rig something up, shoot I know I have a bunch of old handbags around. Thanks for the idea:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by