Blue orp baby question

COgirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Falcon Colorado
Hi I'm pretty new here. I have 4 baby blue orps that are about 13 days old, they seem to be very skittish compared to the 27 rainbow layers(at the same age) that are about 3 weeks ahead of them. I started bringing them out into the living room in a padded laundry basket and holding each one for several minutes, will this help or do they just need to get a little older?

I have been raising Blue Orpingtons and have found that they are indeed rather skittish in the beginning. Continue to hold them regularly and you'll see results in a few weeks. My 23 week old Blue Orpington cockerel, Suede, follows me around like a gigantic feathered blue puppy, LOL.

Thankyou for the replies it's kinda what I thought but it always makes you feel better when someone with experience, lets you know you are on the right track. Just another good reason to hold the babies:)

It's funny, but my tamest birds are the ones I literally put in a bag and carried around with me for their first few weeks of life. It was break time so I could give them attention for about 6 hours a day for 15 days or so.

That is a neat idea. Maybe I'll try to rig something up, shoot I know I have a bunch of old handbags around. Thanks for the idea:)

Back
Top Bottom