Blue Orp/Buff Brahma Cross Siblings (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Feb 24, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is a brother and sister, out of my Blue Orp, Suede, with my Buff Brahma, Caroline. All the cockerels get lots of gold and the girls are basically either solid blue or black, occasionally with very faint lacing on the chest area.
    The big blue bruiser is the boy and the black one is the girl I'm keeping. I named her Glenda after an egg customer and neighbor who loves her mother, Caroline's coloring. The cockerel is HUGE with the thickest legs I've ever seen on a chick less than eight weeks old. He's for sale, if anyone is interested, just a couple bucks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Wow Cyn! They are really cute, I love the boy's wings.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    That roo is good looking! Are you going to hang on to him for a while to see how he develops? I would love to see his progress.

4. speckledhen

Well no one has claimed him, so till they do, he'll be here. He's a very calm, dignified boy-stands tall and stately, just a real statue. I like him. Someone who hatched some of them is actually liking them so much that he's keeping a trio to breed. I think they could be larger birds than the pure Blue Orps.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    So cool to think you may be partly responsible for an entirely new breed!

6. speckledhen

And they're sexlinked, too! Well, not from the start, but still...Plus these are very good for cold climates with their small combs and wattles and feathered legs plus their bulk.

7. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    Bigger than orps,oh dear. That is one big bird.

8. speckledhen

Gosh, Sara, he's a TANK of a boy. If you could just see those legs-they are indescribable. Hard to get the right angle in the pic to show how humongous they are.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Very pretty youngsters...and they both look like they've got some good size legs going on!

10. speckledhen

Thanks, I just wish that Glenda had been the blue one, but what the heck? At least ONE of them was a pullet, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by