BLUE ORP CHICKS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by msrma7670, Jul 2, 2008.

1. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello

Just wanted to let everyone know how my egg swap has gone so far.

I started with 14 eggs blu orp from corancher:
    Only 7 were viable up to the hatch date, 2 did not peep, 1 died during peeping very bloody. 2 doing well.

[​IMG] Not sure what happened. two died 12 hours after hatching looked really good after hatch temp was set.
    Woke up a bit later they were dead. temp was ok plenty of room, not sure if this is common in this breed
    maybe someone can help me with that for next time.

Only 15% hatch rate. [​IMG]

I also started with 80 texas A&M quail only 40 viable at hatch.

20 hatched some the rest did not survive. Only 25% hatch rate [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also had 12 seabrights eggs only one made it to hatch then never peeped. 0% hatch rate [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mixed eggs in bator out of 12 only for developed.
    RIR 12 eggs in bator 8 have developed.

Is this a pretty good hatch rate for mail order?
    Have I gone wrong somewhere? [​IMG]
    Any suggestions?

Pics of the 2 surviving blue orp chicks [​IMG]
    One is a splash, not sure is the other blue or black?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    sorry to hear that you didn't have a good hatch. I have blue orp eggs also from corancher that are post to start hatching on the 5th, I hope i have a little better luck.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My first bunch of eggs from her I had a really good hatch, the 2nd not as good, but the PO took 2 days longer to get them here. She has really nice birds and I'm really happy with mine from her. I haven't lost any after hatch...except when I forgot to shut the gate and the dogs got in [​IMG] Blue orps just don't seem to handle shipping very well.

Shipped eggs of any kind are a gamble even under the best of circumstances. I've had everything from 0 out of 18, to 11 out of 13.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine were mail order...three different people and had 33 eggs...ended up with 24 now 8 were not fertile and one died in shell on day 7. Rest are due to hatch soon and are all still living and moving [​IMG] My last mail order was 50 % but the electricity went out [​IMG] Was surprised to get that! Hope your next hatch is a good one! What type of incubator are you using? Mine was a hovabator 1588...LOVE IT!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH I almost forgot to add that I recently got 6 blue orp BBS from western chick and ALL 6 are moving around like crazy! Due on July 7th...just candled them yesterday [​IMG]

6. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Blue Orps are somewhat harder to hatch after shipping than other breeds.It seems like it's either all or nothing with blue orps.

7. msrma7670

most candled really well then I lost a few then as I hatched it just did not go well. corancher was very nice to help me out not to mentioned they came from colorado and I live in GA.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Your baby is blue, looks like to me, Mike. Shipping is especially hard on this breed for some reason, however, that is usually the only option for those of us wanting them.

9. msrma7670

I am very glad some hatched I did expect a low hatch rate, I just wonder why are they so delicate? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Maybe just cause we want them so badly!!!

Murphys chicken rule #1

When you want something really bad to hatch they don't or at least wait tell your not looking!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, you're picking up your next set of Blue Orp eggs, right? That should help some with the hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by